Summertime...and the livin' is easy!
Summer time is when we get long days. That means time to work around the house after work and long, lazy weekends. This is the time of the year where we get to the ďlistĒ weíve been making the rest of the year. I will list a few of the most common improvements that are best done during the summer months.
- Roof repairs. Itís not going to rain; at least itís not likely.
- Exterior painting- again a good prep job takes time and itís all in the prep.
- Cleaning, sealing or replacing gutters. To do a good paint job, they should be removed to paint the fascia trim.
- Re-grading your yard if it slopes towards your foundation. Lots of work sometimes but your grading and drainage is very important.
- If your house is flooded or has pooling water during the winter, this is the time of the year to install that French drain or sump pump system.
- Deck repair or replacement. Itís far easier to construct a deck during the summer. During the summer months the wood becomes very dry. Decay is far more visible during this time of the year. Fungicide treatments should also be conducted this time of year while the deck is dry.
The summer is also about BBQ with family and friends, so pace yourselves. A little work and a little play and it should be a great summer, and your house will be ready for the coming Fall/Winter.
Matt Miller-owner of Mendo Lake Termite
30+ years of inspecting homes in Mendocino, Lake, Sonoma counties